HomeTestCalendarGalleryFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Hierarchy & Power

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cheveyo
Admin

PostSubject: Hierarchy & Power   Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:48 pm

The Psychological Tactics used by Those In Power and Those Seeking Power as well as the Human Aspects that Enable Us to do Wrong (give in to authority, become authority, etc)

No, it's not the title -- that would be a bit long. lol
It's pretty simple, it's a short term paper for my college course. My professor requested that it be "simple" (because of prior papers -- he's not the smartest guy you'll ever meet).

Psychological tactics have been in use by those in power and those seeking power ever since there were people. Fear tactics, faith-based tactics the psychological aspect of being in power are all relevant in today's politics, whether they be in the field of U.S. elections or simply holding a role of power, such as being a president or a police officer. Books, such as the “Psychological Tactics and Tricks to Win the Game” have been made about winning both sales or an audience's approval over. "This book is a treasure trove of ideas you can use to turn a “no” into a “yes” almost instantly in any sales situation”. In today's society, politicians are not chosen to lead based on their policies, but whether or not they resemble the voter's personality and mindset. In many cases, the politicians create the voter's mindset by using things such as fear tactics or by using/changing situations of which favor the politician. An example of a politician using the voter's mindset and having a similar personality to many working class voters would be Obama. Voters want change so he 'represents' that. An example of a politician using both fear tactics and twisting situations to favor him would be McCain. Voters want security, so he claims to be the candidate best fit to deal with security issues. Those already in power are constantly being psychologically affected or using certain tactics. An example of someone being psychologically effected once in power could be a police officer or a president. George W. Bush ran as a small government republican his first term – a “compassionate conservative”. Once in power, he increased and changed the power of the executive branch and has gone against many conservative principles. An example of police officers, who are granted much authority in today's society though supposedly a public service, abusing their power could be when police assaulted a young woman at Reagan National Airport, throwing her across the room into another woman and a metal chair. After doing so, they bashed her head into a nearby metal table, giving her both a concussion and permanent brain damage. The Police Officer, who delivered the concussion blow to her head, filed false criminal charges against her for “Disorderly Conduct”. The feeling of power and other psychological feelings of those in power have been studied many times throughout history. An important and interesting study of anti-authoritarian, pacifist students being affected / corrupted by holding positions of power is the Standford Prison experiment. Three main psychological aspects are being used by those currently in power and those seeking power today: the psychology of faith and fear used to gain power, the impressionability via psychological tactics of people under power and the psychological aspects that corrupt authority.
(http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=517608 – police brutality)
(Jacob Weisberg, The Bush Tragedy, Random House, 2008. Page 92 – conservatism)

Religion, faith fear tactics and the use or abuse of situations have all played important roles in politics and are relevant today, as candidates such as Barack Obama and John McCain use them to persuade many voters. Obama encourages his supporters to “have faith” in “change”, something that many American voters, especially young ones, want. After observing that what many American voters want serious change, even McCain, a strong supporter of traditional neoconconservative ideas, has said that he is the strong advocate of change. Obama saw that young American people wanted change and he took advantage, but did so earlier on as he chose “change” as his campaign focus. He considers a change of the health care system massive change, although some consider it otherwise. John McCain has been known to use fear tactics and the use of a lesser relevant situation to persuade voters. His campaign makes him out to be a very experienced senator when it comes to foreign policy and security as he uses terrorism, whether relevant or not, to get votes. He has claimed that “Al Qaeda is in Iraq” although it has been proven otherwise in order to justify a war based on non-existent terrorism.
(http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS171015+20-Feb-2008+PRN20080220)
(http://www.barackobama.com/issues/faith/)

The Milgram experiment was a seminal series of social psychology experiments conducted by a psychologist, Stanley Milgram, at Yale University which measured the willingness of study participants to obey an authority figure who instructed them to perform acts that conflicted with their personal conscience. The study by the conductor was comprised of three people at a time: the “teacher”, the “learner” (or actor victim) and the conductor. The only one unaware of the experiment setup was the “teacher”. The participant and the learner were told by the experimenter that they would be participating in an experiment helping his study of memory and learning in different situations although this was not the case (as stated before). Every time the “learner” got something wrong, the “teacher” was told to give the “learner” an increasingly lethal electrocution. However, the “learner” simply pretended to feel it. “Milgram polled fourteen Yale University senior-year psychology majors as to what they thought would be the results. All of the poll respondents believed that only a few (average 1.2%) would be prepared to inflict the maximum voltage . . . though 65 percent of experiment participants administered the experiment's final 450-volt shock and 85 percent administered lower, but deadly shocks.” When asked why they should, the experimenter simply stated that it was for the sake of the experiment. 85% percent of the “teachers” murdered the fake “learners” because of the power of the situation, a psychological aspect in all of us. Under authority, all are capable of doing wrong and by being authority, one is capable of making others do wrong. A participant once said “while I was a subject in 1964, I knew that I was immensely hurting someone, I was totally unaware of why I was doing so”. Many have concluded this explained the outright obedience in Nazi Germany, the acceptance of being drafted into the illegal Vietnam War and the lack of questioning when entering the Iraq war.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment – Milgram experiment document)
(http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8325294940857002700 – documentary)

Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely. It's not a meaningless fact and definitely not a meaningless opinion. Certain psychological aspects contribute to natural corruption of those in power the longer one is in power. What psychology professor Philip Zimbardo found reveals terrifying truths about the capacity for evil within all of us, and may help explain why seemingly ordinary Americans serving in Iraq could be caught up in the shocking prison of Abu Gharaib. Some could argue that those who stripped the prisoners their clothes, their dignity, beat them, tortured and humiliated them were “evil” originally. However, the Standford Prison Experiment would prove otherwise. The Stanford prison experiment was a psychological study of the effects of becoming a prisoner or prison guard. The experiment was conducted by a team of researchers led Philip Zimbardo, a psychologist, at Stanford University in a mock prison in the basement of the psychology building. The experiment quickly grew out of hand. Prisoners both suffered and accepted sadistic and humiliating treatment from the guards, who were specifically chosen because they were anti-authoritarian and pacifists. The large level of stress on the prisoners progressively led them from rebellion at the beginning to inhibition at the end. By experiment's end, many showed severe emotional disturbances. The Stanford experiment ended only 6 days after it began instead of the 14 it was supposed to have lasted. The experiment's result demonstrated the impressionability of those under power, obedience of those in power when provided with a “legitimizing” ideology and corruption of authority or the very top. It has been argued that such an experiment would never be repeated because of what happened in relation to authority and it has been compared to many modern situations: Abu Gharaib, the group beating of Rodney King, mass beatings at peaceful protest and some have gone as far to relate it to the current government.
(www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4980399/ -- Abu Gharaib)
(http://www.prisonexp.org/ -- Standford Prison Experiment)

Psychology in general plays an important role in politics of the past, present and future and the tactics used by those seeking power and those in power should be well known throughout areas in which they occur. The psychological aspects of human nature in which we all share should be well known as well, for without education, we can fall victim to the said tactics or simply to our human nature. Tactics such as manipulating a situation have been used countless times in the past, still are used and will be used again. Fear tactics will unfortunately always be used as well. The same goes for the power of the situation and manipulation of the general people.

Last edited by KenCat on Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.MySpace.com/Carlos758 and www.AnarchistUnderground.co
killuminati
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hierarchy & Power   Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:10 pm

very nice Bush loves to use that scare tactic that how he won in 2004 (or cheated)

TERRORIST WILL ATTACK IF U DONT ELECT ME!@!@!@
ELECT ME ILL PROTECT U%@!@%!@%@^^!@^@^
AL QUEIDA IS WATCHING J00!$$!!$

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hierarchy & Power   Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:17 pm

Killuminati wrote:
very nice Bush loves to use that scare tactic that how he won in 2004 (or cheated)

All politicians, from every party do this. Well, they eventually will (the longer they are in power).
This is why there is not Anarchist Party of the United States. hahah

'Tis better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible only make violent revolution inevitable"
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.MySpace.com/Carlos758 and www.AnarchistUnderground.co
killuminati
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hierarchy & Power   Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:20 pm

KenCat wrote:
Killuminati wrote:

All politicians, from every party do this. Well, they eventually will (the longer they are in power).
in school your not taught to think for yourself...do this this is how things are don't question it don't you dare question it! no creative thinking no shit like that teach you how to be a cooperative slave

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hierarchy & Power   Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:28 pm

Killuminati wrote:
KenCat wrote:
Killuminati wrote:

in school your not taught to think for yourself...do this this is how things are don't question it don't you dare question it! no creative thinking no shit like that teach you how to be a cooperative slave

Just imagine an Anarchist school.. Wouldn't that be the best fucking thing you could go to!? Participatory class discussions on philosophy. No teacher dictatorship, etc.

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible only make violent revolution inevitable"
Back to top Go down
killuminati
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hierarchy & Power   Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:33 pm

KenCat wrote:
Killuminati wrote:
KenCat wrote:
Killuminati wrote:

Just imagine an Anarchist school.. Wouldn't that be the best fucking thing you could go to!? Participatory class discussions on philosophy. No teacher dictatorship, etc.
those class discussions I've long gave up on I tried but teacher would spew some shit and they would listen to her - people give into to authority figures like you said in your paper even if I gave all the proof in the world as long as teacher said something otherwise, I'm wrong

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hierarchy & Power   Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:48 am

Killuminati wrote:
KenCat wrote:
Killuminati wrote:
KenCat wrote:
Killuminati wrote:

those class discussions I've long gave up on I tried but teacher would spew some shit and they would listen to her - people give into to authority figures like you said in your paper even if I gave all the proof in the world as long as teacher said something otherwise, I'm wrong

haha I got in trouble for "making a teacher discreditable". :]

Back to top Go down
Black_Cross
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hierarchy & Power   Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:52 pm

Nice job. Are you sure you're 15?

Quote :

Quote :
Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Just a couple things(I don't even know if you've already turned it in, but what the hell): Are you sure it is power that corrupts? Or is it the process of alienating people from power? I think i'd argue the latter, but i haven't really given it extensive thought. Just somethin to think about.

And second, i wouldn't cite wikipedia. If wikipedia sites something, go there, make sure it's legit, and site that source. Even if wikipedia is right (which, for the most part, it is), teachers just don't accept works cited from wikipedia.

View user profile
killuminati
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hierarchy & Power   Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:45 pm

Ya I would go to the sources wikipedia cites and cite those instead but since he put it in his own words wouldn't be problem

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hierarchy & Power   Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:57 pm

Anarchist.Dagger wrote:

Quote :

Quote :

Just a couple things(I don't even know if you've already turned it in, but what the hell): Are you sure it is power that corrupts? Or is it the process of alienating people from power? I think i'd argue the latter, but i haven't really given it extensive thought. Just somethin to think about.

And second, i wouldn't cite wikipedia. If wikipedia sites something, go there, make sure it's legit, and site that source. Even if wikipedia is right (which, for the most part, it is), teachers just don't accept works cited from wikipedia.

Yeah, I'm fiftenn. lol

The teacher (which isn't he brightest) said he accepts wikiepedia and loves it. It could be both, that power corrupts and process of alienating people while in power corrupts. Kropotkin argues the first one is true because psychological human nature is clouded with pride (ie "they voted for me, out of millions of others, therefore, I must be superior").

Back to top Go down
killuminati
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hierarchy & Power   Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:01 pm

KenCat wrote:
Anarchist.Dagger wrote:

Quote :

Quote :

Yeah, I'm fiftenn. lol

we 15 year olds are pretty smart Smile

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hierarchy & Power   Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:18 pm

Quote :
[quote="Anarchist.Dagger"]Nice job. Are you sure you're 15?

Exactly what I was thinking

What can I say KC, brilliant ! - Lets hope your not spreading that kind of stuff around your school or the head office will be getting in touch with the CIA some time soon. I think most schools nowadays are installed with ''independent thought alarms'' so you should be careful . In my experience schools generally just want you to repeat the shit they tell you back to them - anything else is off base. And its called ''education'' LOL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
killuminati
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hierarchy & Power   Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:26 pm

[quote="Inkus2000"]
Quote :
Anarchist.Dagger wrote:

What can I say KC, brilliant ! - Lets hope your not spreading that kind of stuff around your school or the head office will be getting in touch with the CIA some time soon. I think most schools nowadays are installed with ''independent thought alarms'' so you should be careful . In my experience schools generally just want you to repeat the shit they tell you back to them - anything else is off base. And its called ''education'' LOL
LOL I TOTALLY AGREE!

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hierarchy & Power   Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:17 am

i am so glad i go to a slightly more liberal school....

you can argue with (most) teachers, and as long as you know what you are talking about (or sound like it), they tend to welcome it (maybe they don't have everything planned out or something...)

you can dress up as spartans and "hold" the stair case with cardboard spears and trashcan lids....(you just have to "reassure" the principle you won't do it again o.o )

you can even set up passwords on the school laptops (okay, no, you can't, that kid was suspended for a few months...he's back now though lol)

sometimes being part of a school with so much money they decide to get a mini YMCA gym with DDR instead of finishing construction or getting an air conditioner has its benefits....

but it sucks if you get a crab ass like a certain math teacher i had...seriously "okay class, we are going to learn about adding fractions" (we were in the honors class...sophomore year...seriously, wtf)

^_^ my teacher's patience will be stretched this year, though - 19th century to present american history + sociology with the same teacher heheh

and...there were anarchist schools. somewhere in jersey i believe....they collapsed because of lack of interest i think - but i really can't remember, for all i know, mccarthy shut them down. ^_^
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cheveyo
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hierarchy & Power   Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:01 pm

solpacvoicis wrote:
i am so glad i go to a slightly more liberal school....

you can argue with (most) teachers, and as long as you know what you are talking about (or sound like it), they tend to welcome it (maybe they don't have everything planned out or something...)

you can dress up as spartans and "hold" the stair case with cardboard spears and trashcan lids....(you just have to "reassure" the principle you won't do it again o.o )

you can even set up passwords on the school laptops (okay, no, you can't, that kid was suspended for a few months...he's back now though lol)

sometimes being part of a school with so much money they decide to get a mini YMCA gym with DDR instead of finishing construction or getting an air conditioner has its benefits....

but it sucks if you get a crab ass like a certain math teacher i had...seriously "okay class, we are going to learn about adding fractions" (we were in the honors class...sophomore year...seriously, wtf)

^_^ my teacher's patience will be stretched this year, though - 19th century to present american history + sociology with the same teacher heheh

and...there were anarchist schools. somewhere in jersey i believe....they collapsed because of lack of interest i think - but i really can't remember, for all i know, mccarthy shut them down. ^_^

Jesus, was that a friend school? I go to a public school, but friend schools (which cost A LOT) are extremely liberal -- some of the teachers are activists and you can call them by their first name!

Yeah, they were like Free Stores. There are Free Schools and Free Colleges which I plan on attending on my Free Time. ha
In those types of schools, learning is actually fun (wow I said it) because you CHOSE what you want to learn about. For example, philosophy, activism, sociology, psychology, etc.

Back to top Go down
Cheveyo
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hierarchy & Power   Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:02 pm

[quote="Inkus2000"]
Quote :
Anarchist.Dagger wrote:

haha Thanks.

My school (including the teachers) wouldn't understand it or have the patience to read through all of it.
There are only a few smart kids, and they're the less formally educated ones (naturally smart).

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hierarchy & Power   

Back to top Go down

Hierarchy & Power
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1