The Anarchist Underground

Political movement
 
HomeTestCalendarGalleryFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Surplus -- Terrorized into being Consumers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cheveyo
Admin
avatar

Posts : 803
Join date : 2008-07-04
Location : The Divided Police State of Amerika

PostSubject: Surplus -- Terrorized into being Consumers   Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:42 am

"We cannot let the terrorist achieve the objective of...
frightening our nation to the point where we don't...
Where people don't shop"
--George W. Bush






Surplus is an intense visual odyssey filmed for over three years in eight different countries. From the explosive riot days in Genoa 2001 to $7000 sex dolls in the US, Surplus explores the destructive nature of consumer culture. Stunning editing, integrated music and awesome cinematography turns the notion that 20% of the world is gobbling up 80% of its resources from pure statistics into an overwhelming emotional experience. The world was shocked when young protesters in Seattle, Genoa and Gothenburg attacked shop windows, cars and banks. Surplus sets off on a world journey seeking the answer to the question: why is the lifestyle of consumerism a source of such rage today? Against a familiar backdrop of cynical world leaders, corporate captains and Microsoft fanatics, the film focuses on the controversial anti-globalization, anarcho primitivist guru John Zerzan, whose call for property damage has inspired many to take to the streets.

The first video in Spanish and the rest of the film is in English. MUST WATCH.

































_________________

'Tis better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible only make violent revolution inevitable"
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.MySpace.com/Carlos758 and www.AnarchistUnderground.co
killuminati
Admin
avatar

Posts : 461
Join date : 2008-08-04
Age : 24
Location : RIGHT BEHIND YOU!

PostSubject: Re: Surplus -- Terrorized into being Consumers   Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:46 pm

want to watch it so bad but can't at the moment tommorrow for sure!

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Inkus2000
Admin
avatar

Posts : 284
Join date : 2008-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Surplus -- Terrorized into being Consumers   Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:30 pm

Its good

Seems like a fairly basic post modern attack on consumer culture - I think it could have explained a little a more of the logic behind anti-consumerism as opposed to going all subliminal. Subliminal messaging is ok so long as the viewer has a prior understanding - the problem is that alot of people end up not having a clue about what their advocating, and programs like this don't really help.'' ever meet the anti-capitalists who don't have clue why they hate capitalism ?''

Its like they know they hate capitalism but can't explain why exactly
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cheveyo
Admin
avatar

Posts : 803
Join date : 2008-07-04
Location : The Divided Police State of Amerika

PostSubject: Re: Surplus -- Terrorized into being Consumers   Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:04 am

Inkus2000 wrote:
Its good

Seems like a fairly basic post modern attack on consumer culture - I think it could have explained a little a more of the logic behind anti-consumerism as opposed to going all subliminal. Subliminal messaging is ok so long as the viewer has a prior understanding - the problem is that alot of people end up not having a clue about what their advocating, and programs like this don't really help.'' ever meet the anti-capitalists who don't have clue why they hate capitalism ?''

Its like they know they hate capitalism but can't explain why exactly


Good point. It was a good documentary for us though, and an even better work of art.

_________________

'Tis better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible only make violent revolution inevitable"
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.MySpace.com/Carlos758 and www.AnarchistUnderground.co
Inkus2000
Admin
avatar

Posts : 284
Join date : 2008-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Surplus -- Terrorized into being Consumers   Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:35 pm

KenCat wrote:
Inkus2000 wrote:
Its good

Seems like a fairly basic post modern attack on consumer culture - I think it could have explained a little a more of the logic behind anti-consumerism as opposed to going all subliminal. Subliminal messaging is ok so long as the viewer has a prior understanding - the problem is that alot of people end up not having a clue about what their advocating, and programs like this don't really help.'' ever meet the anti-capitalists who don't have clue why they hate capitalism ?''

Its like they know they hate capitalism but can't explain why exactly


Good point. It was a good documentary for us though, and an even better work of art.

BTW - I disagree completely with anarcho-primitivism which that guy seems to be advocating. The people who advocate it seem to have little understanding of what it would entail.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cheveyo
Admin
avatar

Posts : 803
Join date : 2008-07-04
Location : The Divided Police State of Amerika

PostSubject: Re: Surplus -- Terrorized into being Consumers   Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:52 pm

Inkus2000 wrote:
KenCat wrote:
Inkus2000 wrote:
Its good

Seems like a fairly basic post modern attack on consumer culture - I think it could have explained a little a more of the logic behind anti-consumerism as opposed to going all subliminal. Subliminal messaging is ok so long as the viewer has a prior understanding - the problem is that alot of people end up not having a clue about what their advocating, and programs like this don't really help.'' ever meet the anti-capitalists who don't have clue why they hate capitalism ?''

Its like they know they hate capitalism but can't explain why exactly


Good point. It was a good documentary for us though, and an even better work of art.

BTW - I disagree completely with anarcho-primitivism which that guy seems to be advocating. The people who advocate it seem to have little understanding of what it would entail.
I disagree with it as well, though the people (like Zerzan) know exactly what it would entail -- they favor it. I favor a very radical, environmental society but technology is key, especially that of communication. Books, wrenches, computers are all technology and are all useful.

_________________

'Tis better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible only make violent revolution inevitable"
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.MySpace.com/Carlos758 and www.AnarchistUnderground.co
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Surplus -- Terrorized into being Consumers   

Back to top Go down
 
Surplus -- Terrorized into being Consumers
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Large Surplus of milk in Memphis
» Armed Force Pensioners Lose Battle with Government Over Pension Surplus Funds
» Silk Escape Map Hankie
» Large surplus of Milk-Memphis
» WANTED: All black version of WWII USMC Stiletto

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Anarchist Underground :: The Revolutionary Sphere :: Political Film and Documentary-
Jump to: